LTS Literacy Lessons | Post-Assessment Session

2:24 AM Eunnah 1 Comments

Note: I will not be reflecting on the last session (session 10) because my original tutee, Jayven, was absent. I was not able to actively teach or even build rapport with a child because there were too many of us (four) who were assigned with only one child.



Fortunately, Jayven showed up in the post-assessment session!

Oral Language

Jayven was very responsive when I asked him the open-ended questions that will measure his ability to use the different functions of language. He truly made progress in communicating his ideas and expressing his feelings compared to the time I first met him. This time, he really took his time to answer the questions well. He was more relaxed now. Instead of blurting out shambolic answers, I could sense that he puts an effort to chew the questions fist in order to give out organized responses.

What I really enjoyed in this part is when he told the story of “Si Pagong at Si Matsing” (his favourite story) in response to the imaginative question, “Maaari ka bang magkwento?” At first, he was hesitant to tell the story. I could understand this internal conflict in his head because in our last sessions, storytelling is something that he enjoys hearing, but has a hard time doing. When he tries to tell a story without a guide, it would end up chaotic as he could not form coherent sentences. So, I just told him to take a deep breath first. Then I told him to take his time to remember the story and to come back to me when he’s ready.

I pretended to do something else so as to prevent pressuring him. Since it was our last day meeting each other, I was really hoping that he could successfully tell the story. I was praying, and praying for him to be confident and tell the story effectively, and guess what—he did! I was blown away because he was very detailed. It was not just the gist of the story that he was able to impart, but ALL OF IT. I was so proud and moved. It was then that I realized that he does not just enjoy reading, he loves and lives it!

Book Orientation

I think I have already established that Jayven is VERY familiar with books. ;)

Letter Knowledge

Jayven can generally identify, name, match, and provide the sounds of the letters of the alphabet. Sometimes, he just needs some prompting. Compared to the first assessment however, Jayven merely needs “little” prompting now with letters that are not usually/not really used with Filipino words such as Ww, Qq, and Xx. I can say that he made a big progress in terms of identifying the sounds, especially when it comes to vowels. He has not perfected it yet. There were still some instances during the post assessment when he would give out the wrong sound for the letter, but I know that with a little more practice, he would not have difficulty with it anymore.
Phonological Awareness

Jayven has no problem with counting the syllable of a word. Doing the syllable clapping became more of a game to him. However, doing the phoneme test was the part where the waters became kinda blurry. Jayven is not yet an expert when it comes to the sounds of the letters. Thus, sounding out each letter that comprises a word was too hard for him to do independently. Although when we do it together, he can follow my pace.


Word Recognition

Jayven has no difficulty identifying environmental prints, but when asked to “read” the words on the environmental prints, he lags a bit. For example, he knows the symbol of “Milo.” He can identify this. But when I told him during the assessment to read the words of the print, instead of saying the long sound of ‘i’ for Milo, he blurted out the short sound of ‘i’ but immediately changed his pronunciation when he realized that he was reading the brand name.

This just goes to show that he still has to practice reading more.

Listening Comprehension & Written Expression

I enjoyed this part so much. Not only because of the fact that Jayven loves to hear stories, but because this is my favourite storybook as a child. So reading “Bakit Matagal Ang Sundo Ko” to Jayven was such bliss.

As expected, Jayven enjoyed every bit of the story as I did. He was able to remember several details from the story and was also able to infer when I asked him what he think would happen next and why such things happen in real life.

He was also able to express himself creatively through the worksheets in relation to the given story. And just like before, Jayven gave his 100% effort.

 with Teacher Mika. :))
He was the first child to win a prize by saying the word that starts with the letter given! I am sooo happy because he is ALWAYS the first kid to say the word that corresponds to the letter that they are asking! I realized here that the game we played almost every session where we would think of words from A-Z really paid off and increased his vocabulary! <3

You Might Also Like

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad Jayven was there for the post assessment. That certainly made it extra special for you. It was also a good ending to a good beginning. I hope you get to continue teaching children even after this. There would certainly be more children needing help with their literacy skills. If you do get a chance to meet them, I'm sure they will benefit from your help :)

    ReplyDelete