LTS Literacy Lessons | Session 9

10:53 PM Eunnah 0 Comments


Tutee’s basic information:
Name: Jayven Ubiztondo
Sex: Male
Grade level & Section: Grade 2 – Nahum

Last April 24, I was hoping that Jayven would show up but I was actually anticipating to meet Kledan again. Kledan’s passion and interest in reading really made me excited that I prepared a few story books for him. Sadly, he did not show up. I was a bit disappointed when I couldn’t find him. But since Jayven was there, I was still thankful.  


Jayven’s engagement, motivation and interest in the literacy lessons


          I wasn’t so sure why the ambience of the session with Jayven changed, but I just noticed that he was unusually distracted last time. There was an apparent barrier in our rapport, which may be due to the couple of weeks that we weren’t able to meet. He was also not as enthusiastic anymore when I was asking him to draw the picture that corresponds to a story. Usually, he enjoys the kind of activities where he has to draw or color but this time, I felt like he was merely burdened to do these things. He was still trying though. Even though I feel like he just wanted to do fun play, I could see that he was still trying to accomplish the tasks given to him last Monday.



Jayven’s display of understanding of the lesson (challenges + strategies)

Together with Mika, my partner in teaching Jayven, we modified the latter part of the session and dedicated it solely in helping Jayven distinguish the sounds of e from i, and o from u. It was a bit tricky because there were times when Jayven would pronounce them right but there were also times when he won’t. This was a challenge for us since the very beginning, and it was saddening that Jayven “forgets” the right sounds after a week.
So, we provided him some strategies to help him remember the right words. For one, I emphasized the appearance or position of the mouth when uttering the sounds. When pronouncing the sound of e, there should be a gap between his upper and lower teeth. When pronouncing the sound of i, his teeth should be closed together. When pronouncing the sound of o, his mouth should mimic the letter o. And when pronouncing the sound of u, the form of his lips should be like giving a kiss.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: