LTS Literacy Lessons | Session 6

4:32 AM Eunnah 1 Comments



Last March 27, it was such a surprise blessing that Jayven was able to attend the session even though he wasn’t required to come to school anymore. I didn’t see him at first, but it turned out that another student tutor, Mika, volunteered to teach him because her supposed tutee was absent and that she thought I was absent as well.

They were already going through LP 7 when Jayven fortunately spotted me and ran to meet me.

1. Jayven’s engagement in the literacy lessons with regards to:

            a. Attention, Effort, and Attitude

          Jayven was unusually hyper that day. His hair was covered in perspiration as if we was playing and running around. When I went to their spot in the classroom and proceeded to teach him what I prepared for LP 4 and 5, he was not as attentive as before. He was constantly fidgeting and looking around. I am not sure if it were because of the abrupt change in lessons transitioning from LP 6 to LP 4, the change in location, the fact that he didn’t have a class before our session causing him to be overtly energetic, or if it were because Mika gave him chocolate snacks in the middle of the session.

          Despite this energy within him, Jayven still managed to listen and focus his attention on our lessons when I prod him once in a while. I can see that he was compelling himself to focus on me even though distractions such as a student tutor allowing his tutee to use his big laptop were beside us.

2. Jayven’s display of:

a. Understanding of the lesson

Jayven was mainly able to meet the objectives of lesson 4 and 5. As I have mentioned before, he is already doing well with the sounds of the consonants. Although distracted, I think he was also able to do the activities well. The portion where he had some difficulties however, was the reading part. In this session, he was extremely slow at reading. While he was doing somewhat okay in reading before, he was doing now poorly in this session.

b. Motivation and interest in learning literacy skills and others

Since Jayven was extremely distracted that day, I couldn’t see his motivation to learn our lessons that much. It even looked as if he was forced to come to school. He even said some words along the line, “bakasyon na dapat namin,” and also implied that he didn’t want to go to school next week. In order to make the situation in my favour as a tutor, I asked him what he would like to do at home next week. Then, I started telling him that we are going to do some activities that are even more enjoyable than what he had planned. To this, he agreed that he would come to school on Monday. Hooray!

3. Challenges, Strategies, and Changes in my teaching and in the student’s learning

          In this session, it is saddening how I could see Jayven’s emotional withdrawal from the session in general. But I can understand that. As a student myself, I also don’t want some extra work when I am entitled to go and relax at home. This is a change of direction for me as a tutor because not only do I have to teach him effectively, I now also have to give meaning to our sessions in which he can cherish so that it would be his initiative to come to school on his own will. I have to give meaning to our sessions, something that he could understand, so that he can perceive our sessions as “play” more than “work.”


You Might Also Like

1 comment:

  1. Yes, the challenge is really getting him to be piqued enough to come to the next teaching session. Make tomorrow's session something that would make him look forward to the few remaining ones :)

    ReplyDelete